This page provides information for parishioners of St Andrew’s, Tenterden with help in going to church and participating in Mass.
For the latest news from HM Government with regard to COVID-19 issues, see the Places of Worship page of the Gov.uk website.
Latest Update from Deacon Jolyon on 29th September:
As Autumn approaches, we are going to make some minor changes to Mass, in order to continue to make your experience safe, comfortable and spiritual .
- Because of the need to maintain adequate air circulation, during the actual service, we will need to keep windows open, therefore please dress warmly. However, we will ensure that the heating is on and that the windows are only opened just as the doors are opened to let you in. Please. therefore, remain in your cars until 5 to 10 minutes before the service starts and then report to our stewards and take your seat.
- We will omit the second New Testament reading, but do encourage you to read that at home
- We will use the shorter versions of readings, if they are available
- We will use the Apostles Creed instead of the Nicene Creed. I attach the text for those, who would like to download it for reference.
Update on 23rd September: Following the recent government announcements, we have been allowed to continue to have public worship for the time being, provided we stick to all the guidelines including:
- Social Distancing at all times;
- Not socialising before or after Mass;
Using Hand Sanitiser before entering and after leaving the church;
Wearing warm clothes, so that we can keep windows open to improve air circulation;
Having stewards available to organise the efficient seating of attendees; and
Having cleaners to sanitise the church after the service.
If you are sitting in the Parish Centre during Mass, for the distribution of Holy Communion:
- Please come to the hatch in a socially distant way;
- Leave the Centre by the way you came in;
- Turn left at the foot of the stairs;
- Enter the garden gate;
- Walk up the path;
- Come back in via the fire exit; and
- Return to your seat for the final prayer etc.
Also, in the light of the facts that:
- The obligation to attend Mass on Sundays is currently relaxed;
- There will be an extra-ordinary form (EF) Mass on the 1st and 3rd Sundays at 12:00 Midday here in Tenterden.
It would be really appreciated if some folk would opt to attend Mass on Saturday at 10am instead, for the time being, or support the EF Mass on those weekends. If there are a number of people, who would be happy to do this, I will prepare a seating plan for Saturday too. Could you also indicate if you would be willing to steward or clean on a Saturday?
I am extremely grateful to those people who are kindly cleaning and stewarding on Sundays at the moment.
Sadly, the Remembrance Sunday, Christmas Market and Town Carol Services are all suspended for this year, but we are actively exploring ecumenical ways of observing these events. We will keep you posted.
An update from the Bishops’ Conference, 13th September 2020: “The Rule of Six.” As you will see the regulations have every little effect on most church activities, other than to restrict Social gatherings. A question has been raised regarding families of more than six, may they attend Mass together? From this guidance the answer would appear to be yes:
The only exception to this new rule is where a single household (or support bubble) contains more than six people, but the same rules on social interaction with others outside their group should apply. No person who lives separately to this household or is not included in the support bubble is permitted to accompany this larger group. This replaces previous rules where groups could be larger than six people if they were made up of two households.
But, because there is a need to seat larger numbers of people on Sundays, please still book with Jolyon on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01580 766449.
Feasts during the week 18th – 25th October 2020:
|Sunday 18th October||29th Sunday |
12.00 noon Traditional Latin Mass
|Monday 19th October||Sts. John de Brebeuf & Isaac Jogues, Priests |
|Tuesday 20th October||Feria|
|Wednesday 21st October||Feria||10.00am Service of the Word and Holy Communion
|Thursday 22nd October||St John Paul II, Pope ||10.00am
|Friday 23rd October||St John of Capistrano, Priest |
|Saturday 24th October||St Anthony Mary Claret, Bishop ||10.00am
|Sunday 25th October||30th Sunday |
To comply with HM Government’s Track and Trace rules, please be ready to scan the QR code as you arrive at the Church, or fill in a Track and Trace Card before you leave home.
We were able to resume public Masses here in Tenterden, BUT these will be under very specific constraints as follows:
- Every weekday Mass (10am) will use the Sunday scripture readings, prayer etc so that as many parishioners as possible can join in the previous Sunday’s liturgy.
- The obligation to attend Mass on Sundays is still suspended.
- There is no obligation to attend Mass at all at present, particularly if you feel unsafe or at risk.
- As the Mass will be the same every day of the week, please only attend once a week to allow other people to attend.
- You should wear a mask at all times inside the church.
- There will be strict control on the numbers able to attend.
- Groups of people in agreed “bubbles” may attend together and the head count can be adjusted to accommodate these circumstances.
- In the event of a second lockdown, as there are currently concerns about the “R” number in the Ashford area, these arrangements will be terminated by the civil authorities, with little to no notice. Please bear with us and we will try and keep you updated via the parish website.
- Please could you also email Deacon Jolyon, if you are able to offer yourself as a volunteer steward and post service cleaner.
Please do not turn up “unannounced”, or after 10am, as you may have to be turned away
Finally, you will see in the latest My Tenterden newsletter the outline plans for a Remembrance Sunday service at St Mildred’s Church with participation from local priests.