Fr John Hine, was born in 1938 in Tunbridge Wells, Kent and ordained priest in 1962 in Rome. Fr John served over 55 years of ministry in Southwark Diocese (first serving as assistant priest in Worcester Park, Maidstone and Chatham, with normal parish responsibilities, including hospital chaplaincies, plus being involved in Secondary School chaplaincy, then Diocesan R.E Inspection and Chaplain to Chatham Naval Base). He was then appointed to found new parish in Bearsted and Harrietsham in 1978 (and also appointed Secretary, then Chairman, of Kent Catholic Education Commission). He built St Peter’s Church, Bearsted.
In 1968, Fr John was appointed Chancellor and Vicar General of the Diocese, resident at Archbishop’s House, Southwark and consecrated Bishop (Kent Area) in February 2001 until 2014 when he reached retirement age. Fr John was then appointed Parish Priest (‘Emeritus Bishop’) of St Andrew’s, Tenterden in 2014 and retired in June 2020.
Monsignor Edward Hill, a former RAF Senior Chaplain came out of RAF retirement to take over the Parish in Low Week 2003. He retired in January 2013 to the Holy Cross Priory, Cross-in-Hand, East Sussex.
Fr Desmond Doherty returned to Tenterden in January 1999 and left in September 2002. He went to Colliers Wood Parish and has subsequently retired.
Fr Edgar Gerard Dunn came from St Benet’s, Abbey Wood in January 1998 and left in January 1999 to go to Colliers Wood, when he and Father Desmond exchanged parishes. Please see the obituary, published in the John Fisher school newsletter here The Rev Edgar Dunn. (There may be some inaccuracies over the date of death either 21st June or July 2000.)
Fr Desmond Doherty returned from sabbatical leave in the USA and looked after the Parish on a temporary basis during December 1997 before becoming Parish Priest of Colliers Wood, South London.
Fr Jack O’Shea came to the Parish in November 1997 and stayed for just two weeks. He spent some time in various other posts before retiring to Ireland, where he died on the 16th January 2008. A detailed appreciation of his life is attached here Fr John O’Shea.
Deacon Derek Ockenden was one of the first deacons ordained for the Southwark Archdiocese on 10th March 1980 by Archbishop Michael Bowen. For many years, he acted as the Secretary to the Diocese’s Council of Priests. He moved from Sanderstead to Tenterden with his wife and family in March 1989 and served the Parish until his death in 7th November 1990. He is buried in Tenterden cemetery.
Fr John Hagreen came to the parish in April 1984. He had the sensitive task of re-ordering the Church in line with teachings of the Second Vatican Council. He retired in November 1997 going to Edenbridge Convent as the chaplain. He then moved to Sevenoaks as an assistant priest and died at the Kent and East Sussex Hospital, Tunbridge Wells on the 2nd May 2003. His funeral was held at St George’s Cathedral, and he is buried at Saint Teresa’s Horn Cross. A detailed appreciation of his life is attached here Fr John Hargreen.
Fr Francis (Frank) Reid came to the Parish as coadjutor priest from Surbiton, during Canon Currie’s final ill health from 1983 to 1984. He then went to Tooting Parish. He has subsequently retired to Saint Peter’s Residence, Lambeth, South London
Canon Hopetoun Currie founded the Parish on 16th July 1934 and served as the Parish Priest until his illness and subsequent death on the 20th March 1984. See the brief obituary notice attached here Canon Hopetoun Currie.